"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Isaiah 30:21

Monday, January 4, 2010

Random Recipes

Ok, maybe you're smart and already knew this, but I never
knew that there was alcohol in vanilla extract.

I know, weird.
Last year, a dear friend told me about this. And sure enough - I got my bottle of imitation vanilla extract out of my cupboard and looked. One of the ingredients was indeed alcohol.
WHAT?!
She also told me something else....that you can MAKE your own vanilla extract!!
Waaaay cool.
I was game.
All you need is vodka and vanilla beans. Doesn't that just sound crazy?
But seriously, you have not baked with vanilla until you bake with this. It smells so dang good.

You can use any glass jar with a tight fitting lid, but I just
used the bottle that the vodka came in.

Clever, I know.

Do you see those vanilla beans in there?? YUM!
Here is how to make it:
Ingredients:
3 vanilla beans
1 cup Vodka
Glass jar
1. Using a sharp knife, cut lengthwise down each vanilla bean, splitting them in half, but leaving an inch or so at the end connected.
2. Put vanilla beans in your glass jar, and cover them completely with Vodka. ( I had to cut my beans in half).
3. Give it a good shake every once in a while, and store in a dark, cool place for 2 months or longer.
4. Lasts for years. I seriously did this over a year ago, and it's delicious yet. You can keep topping it off with Vodka as you use it, just remember to shake it well.
5. My friend ordered her vanilla beans right off ebay. Or was it Amazon? I can't remember....it was a year ago, ok?
Anyway, she had gone to the natural food store to pick some up, but they were very expensive. She decided to look on the internet, and found 20 beans for $6!
6. I use my vanilla only for baking, so the alcohol cooks out. No need to worry about getting drunk off your baked goodies!

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I have never heard of this..but what a neat idea! It just looks cool in that bottle!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Kristin

Grand Pooba said...

I just learned this from Stacy (Stacy's Random Thoughts) I didn't know there was alcohol in vanilla extract either! But I hear homemade vanilla extract is the way to go!

Thanks, I seriously need to do this. Not because I have a lot of vodka in my house. Or maybe I do. Or not.

He & Me + 3 said...

I had no idea either. Wow that is cool. You can buy bumpits almost anywhere...I got hers at Justice, but they sell them at walgreens and target. Anywhere...they seem to be popular. :)

Kasey Hunt said...

Good to know. Learn something new everyday!

Amanda said...

This is awesome... I had not heard this before!! Although I think I have just totally forgot..but anyway, what a delight in seeing how easy it is and how useful!!

Blessings-
Amanda

scrapnic72 said...

I, too, had no idea! I had a few friends here for the weekend to scrapbook (Heather Watkins, Ruth Tacoma) and we all agreed that we are going out to buy some vodka and give it a try! Thanks for the fun and interesting idea!

Nicci