"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Isaiah 30:21

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Four


My precious firstborn son is 4 years old today. I say this every time, but where does the time go? It truly seems like yesterday that we brought him home. During my pregnancy with Cameron, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I controlled it with my diet, but still had to check my blood 4 times a day. I also had to have non-stress tests twice a week during the last few months because they knew he would be a big baby. I was due on April 20. April 14, 2005 I was up at the hospital having one of my non-stress tests. I was all hooked up to the monitors, listening to the steady rythym of his heartbeat. I noticed that rythym changing and looked at the monitor and his heartrate had dropped to 80. The nurses came rushing in and I had to lay in different positions, and eventually it came up again. I had been having a contraction, and they figured this made his heartrate drop. They told me to call Eric b/c they weren't going to let me go home for a while. I called him and he was going to drive up to the hospital to sit with me. Soon after he got there, I had another contraction and Cameron's heartrate dropped to 80 again. Oh was I scared - this was the worst most helpless feeling I ever had. I just wanted him out so I could hold him and he'd be ok. They decided then and there that he had to be born, and not even 15 minutes later, Cameron Eric entered the world weighing 9lbs. 2 oz. He was perfect in every way. The cord had been up around his shoulder and every time I would contract, it would pinch it and make his heartrate drop. I still get shook up every time I think of this, but I praise God that his hand was in it the entire time. If I hadn't been up at the hospital that day getting a non-stress test, Cam could very well not be here today. I am truly thankful to my God for watching over us and giving us the gift of Cameron. He is a wonderful, spirited, energetic, sweet boy. He is making us laugh each new day with something he comes up with. :) We just can't imagine life without him. So today, I wish my son a very Happy 4th Birthday, and I thank my wondrous Lord for the gift of his life.

3 comments:

Mami Sue said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAM!! I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU CALLING ME AND TELLING ME HE WAS HERE! I WAS SHOCKED IT HAPPENED SO QUICK!

memoriesmama said...

Thanks for sharing his birth story. I love hearing about God at work!

Jennifer Atkinson said...

Happy Birthday, Cam!! You are a precious gift!